When I give up the helm I know that the time has come for thee to take it. (song 99) by Rabindranath Tagore (poem, summary & analysis)

 

When I give up the helm I know that the time has come for thee to take it. (song 99) by Rabindranath Tagore (poem, summary & analysis) 

When I give up the helm I know that the time has come for thee to take it. What there is to do will be instantly done. Vain is this struggle.

Then take away your hands and silently put up with your defeat, my heart, and think it your good fortune to sit perfectly still where you are placed.

These my lamps are blown out at every little puff of wind, and trying to light them I forget all else again and again.

But I shall be wise this time and wait in the dark, spreading my mat on the floor; and whenever it is thy pleasure, my lord, come silently and take thy seat here.

When I give up the helm I know that the time has come for thee to take it. What there is to do will be instantly done. Vain is this struggle.

 

Summary

The poem's main idea is about completely giving in to God's will. When He calls, a person must follow and humbly surrender. The poet says there will be a time when the Divine takes control of a person's life, and when that happens, the person should step aside. Life is like a journey on the sea, where a person is the captain of their ship. They should do their duties as long as they're allowed, but once God steps in, their efforts become meaningless. The poet believes that a person should stop resisting and quietly accept God's will. They should see it as a blessing and calmly accept their fate.

People often get caught up in worldly activities and focus on material wealth, forgetting their spiritual needs. The poet has realized this and chooses not to waste time on earthly matters. Instead, he waits wisely and patiently for his Master, ready to welcome Him with joy whenever He arrives. The poet prepares himself for death, knowing it is the final chapter of life.

 

Critical Analysis

The poet often uses the idea of death in a deep, emotional way. He believes true wisdom comes from accepting this final part of life. People spend their whole lives busy with worldly matters, but when they experience spiritual awakening, they should stop fighting for meaningless things and humbly submit to God's will, which will guide them away from this life. The poet suggests that the darkness of death is better than the light of worldly life, as it represents innocence and the path to spiritual happiness.

Post a Comment

0 Comments