I will deck thee with trophies, garlands of my defeat (song 98) by Rabindranath Tagore (poem, summary & analysis)

 

I will deck thee with trophies, garlands of my defeat (song 98) by Rabindranath Tagore (poem, summary & analysis) 

I will deck thee with trophies, garlands of my defeat. It is never in my power to escape unconquered.

I surely know my pride will go to the wall, my life will burst its bonds in exceeding pain, and my empty heart will sob out in music like a hollow reed, and the stone will melt in tears.

I surely know the hundred petals of a lotus will not remain closed for ever and the secret recess of its honey will be bared.

From the blue sky an eye shall gaze upon me and summon me in silence. Nothing will be left for me, nothing whatever, and utter death shall I receive at thy feet.

I will deck thee with trophies, garlands of my defeat. It is never in my power to escape unconquered.

 

Summary

The song speaks of Death's unstoppable power and how it humbles man. The poet accepts his defeat, knowing he must surrender his pride and ego at the feet of his conqueror. When his soul is freed from the body, it will pour out its pain and suffering before his Lord and Master. In the end, God's heart will open like a flower, and the poet will receive the sweet nectar of divine love and mercy. He believes that one day, God will gaze upon him with love from the highest heavens and call him home. The poet welcomes Death, for only through it can man be reunited with the Divine.

 

Critical Analysis

The poet will not resist when death takes over his soul. Just like a lotus that doesn't stay closed forever, it will soon open to reveal its sweetness. The poet says he will humbly accept death. This death is like reaching completeness, going beyond oneself. A life focused on self will now be centered on God. In the presence of God's greatness and glory, human individuality fades away. God's love enters and fills the soul, taking over body, mind, and spirit. The words 'pride', 'exceeding-pain', 'sob-out', 'hollow' carry a deeper meaning with sexual imagery.

"I surely know my pride will go to the wall, my life will burst its bonds in exceeding pain, and my empty heart will sob out in music like a hollow reed, and the stone will melt into tears".

The poet understands that pride and ego create a wall between people and God. To fully surrender to God, one must let go of pride. In one of his poems, he writes, "Pride can never approach where you walk." The poet believes that ego is what turns an immortal soul into a mortal being.

Using vivid imagery, the poet compares himself to a shy bride, unable to stop the bridegroom from coming close to her. Though she feels defeated, she willingly crowns her lover with the symbol of her surrender. She knows that her pride will eventually give way. While this surrender will bring her great pain, it will also lead to freedom from all restrictions.

The emptiness in her heart will be filled with music, and like a hollow reed, she will resonate with new life. Her emotional walls will break down, and her tears will flow. This experience is both painful and rewarding at the same time.

In this way, the poet describes the union of the soul with God, using the imagery of a physical union, though he is really speaking of a pure, spiritual connection.

Post a Comment

0 Comments