On the day when death will knock at thy door what wilt thou offer to him? (song 90) by Rabindranath Tagore (poem, summary & analysis)

 

On the day when death will knock at thy door what wilt thou offer to him? (song 90) by Rabindranath Tagore (poem, summary & analysis) 

On the day when death will knock at thy door what wilt thou offer to him?

Oh, I will set before my guest the full vessel of my life - I will never let him go with empty hands.

All the sweet vintage of all my autumn days and summer nights, all the earnings and gleanings of my busy life will I place before him at the close of my days when death will knock at my door.

On the day when death will knock at thy door what wilt thou offer to him?

 

Summary

The short poem is a welcome to God's servant, Death, who must come to everyone. It is a time of completion and the way to meet God.

When Death knocks on the poet's door, he isn't scared. Instead, he asks Death what he should give as a gift. He doesn't want Death to leave empty-handed, so he offers everything he has gained and saved during his life.

 

Critical Analysis

The poet praises Death and sees it as something we cannot avoid. He believes Death is a special event that will connect the soul with God. Just like life, Death is a truth, and people should accept it the same way they accept life. So, when Death comes, he will fully give himself to it and find happiness in the eternal peace and joy that follows.

"All the sweet vintage of all my autumn days and summer nights, all the earnings and gleanings of my busy life will I place before him at the close of my days when death will knock at my door"

The poet talks about facing death. When death comes to visit, he will welcome it like an honored guest, not like an unwelcome stranger. He will give death the best gifts and won't let it leave empty-handed. The poet will offer all the happy moments from his life, like the sweet times of autumn and summer. Everything he has earned or experienced throughout his life, he will give to death on his final day. The poet accepts death and sees it as something to celebrate.

Post a Comment

0 Comments