Literary Terms - Anecdote

 

Literary Terms

Anecdote 

The term “anecdote” originally comes from a Greek phrase which means “things unpublished.”

An anecdote is a very short story that is significant to the topic at hand; usually adding personal knowledge or experience to the topic. Basically, anecdotes are stories. Like many stories, anecdotes are most often told through speech; they are spoken rather than written down. Anecdote is a short and interesting story, or an amusing event, often proposed to support or demonstrate some point, and to make the audience laugh.

Anecdotes are valuable literary devices because of their diversity in style, tone, and utility. They can be used by almost any person, in any situation, in any genre. Anecdotes serve countless purposes and make situations more interesting for both the characters and the audience. Anecdotes, like other forms of stories, are common and highly effective devices found throughout literature, film, television, theater, and even real life. Anecdotes make conversations or dialogue more personal and interesting.

 

Examples:

You know, when I was a kid, my dog was my best friend. My childhood was better because of him.

That reminds me of a wild party I went to with the groom, before he got that new ball and chain! If you had told me back then that he would choose just ONE woman, I never would have believed it!

I was an owl last year—it was a real hoot!

 

Types of Anecdotes

a. Humorous,

b. Reminiscent,

c. Philosophical,

d. Inspirational,

e. Cautionary.

Post a Comment

0 Comments