On The Day When the Lotus Bloomed by Rabindranath Tagore (Poem & Summary)

 

On The Day When the Lotus Bloomed

by Rabindranath Tagore

(Poem & Summary) 

In this lyric, number twenty, Tagore wants to say, that God resides in every man's heart. The poet has been searching everywhere for God and His love. Finally, he finds that it is there within himself.

On The Day When the Lotus Bloomed

On the day when the lotus bloomed, alas, my mind was straying, and I knew it not. My

basket was empty and the flower remained unheeded.

Only now and again a sadness fell upon me, and I started up from my dream and felt a

sweet trace of a strange fragrance in the south wind.

That vague sweetness made my heart ache with longing and it seemed to me that it was

the eager breath of the summer seeking for its completion.

I knew not then that it was so near, that it was mine, and that this perfect sweetness had

blossomed in the depth of my own heart.

Summary

In this poem, the poet talks about how one day he realizes that the God whom he has been searching for and waiting from so long to come into His presence, resides within himself. The poet was gathering flowers but on the day the lotus came into bloom, he did not see it and thus failed to pluck it, his basket remained empty. The poet became sad and he felt a strangeness in the south wind. This faint, untraceable sweetness touched the poet's heart and made him long for it so much that his heart hurt and he felt that it might be the summer breeze. Then, he realizes that the breeze was his own and the perfect sweetness was blooming from within his own heart.

Post a Comment

0 Comments