I Have Had My Invitation by Rabindranath Tagore (Summary)


I Have Had My Invitation

by Rabindranath Tagore

(Summary)

 

This is the sixteenth song of Tagore’s Gitanjali. It is an appreciation of the life that God has granted to the poet. He celebrates life and calls it a festival. This was his duty to sing and thus serve God during this festival.

 

I Have Had My Invitation

I have had my invitation to this world's festival,

and thus, my life has been blessed.

 

My eyes have seen and my ears have heard.

It was my part at this feast

to play upon my instrument

and I have done all I could.

 

Now, I ask, has the time come at last

when I may go in

and see thy face

and offer thee my silent salutation?

 

Summary

In this poem Tagore praises life and says that he has completed his work and prays to come into God's presence to see His face and offer Him salutations. The poet has been born into this world, which is like a festival. The poet says, that he has been invited to play and sing at this festival and his life has been blessed with this invitation. Tagore has experienced this life, both through his eyes and through his ears. He says, that the role assigned to him in this world was to play his musical instrument and sing songs and he has done that to the best of his ability. Now, he asks God to allow him to come into His presence. His time to face God and honour him silently has come.

  

Post a Comment

0 Comments