I Am Here to Sing Thee Songs by Rabindranath Tagore (Summary)


I Am Here to Sing Thee Songs

by Rabindranath Tagore

(Summary) 


The poet knows nothing to do but to sing in praise of God. This is his only work and he has become God's musician. His life is useless because he has nothing to do. He wishes that God would bring some purpose into his life by commanding him to sing during the hour of prayer in the temple.

I Am Here to Sing Thee Songs

I am here to sing thee songs.

In this hall of thine I have a corner seat.

 

In thy world I have no work to do;

my useless life can only break out in tunes without a purpose.

 

When the hour strikes for thy silent worship at dark temple of midnight,

command me, my master, to stand before thee to sing.

 

When in the morning air the golden harp is tuned,

honour me, commanding my presence.

 

Summary

In this poem, Tagore says that his only purpose in life is to sing songs in praise of God. This world is God's great hall, in which the poet occupies a corner seat. Corner seat is regarded an insignificant position. In God's world, the poet has nothing to do and his life is useless. He says, that his songs are also useless.

The poet wishes that when the time for singing would come, God would command him to sing and comes into His presence. The poet prays God to honour him by commanding him into His presence when the new dawn dawns, the golden harp would be tuned in readiness to sing God's glory.


Post a Comment

0 Comments