I was not aware of the moment when I first crossed the threshold of this life. (song 95) by Rabindranath Tagore (poem, summary & analysis)

 

I was not aware of the moment when I first crossed the threshold of this life. (song 95) by Rabindranath Tagore (poem, summary & analysis) 

I was not aware of the moment when I first crossed the threshold of this life.

What was the power that made me open out into this vast mystery like a bud in the forest at midnight!

When in the morning I looked upon the light I felt in a moment that I was no stranger in this world, that the inscrutable without name and form had taken me in its arms in the form of my own mother.

Even so, in death the same unknown will appear as ever known to me. And because I love this life, I know I shall love death as well.

The child cries out when from the right breast the mother takes it away, in the very next moment to find in the left one its consolation.

I was not aware of the moment when I first crossed the threshold of this life.

 

Summary

The theme of death continues. An unknown power brings us into this world. When we begin our journey in life, we are like strangers, but this powerful force holds us close and loves us deeply. Like a mother, it makes us feel at home in our new surroundings. This love helps us to see the beauty and mystery of life, just as a bud turns into a flower in a gentle way. The arrival of a human being is compared to the blooming of a bud, which is truly wonderful.

Death is another moment when the same nurturing mother cares for her child. Her love and warmth are still present. Just as life brings the soul into a new and strange world, death guides it across the sea of eternity. The human soul cherishes both life and death. Our understanding of life is complete only when we also recognize the reality of death.

Tagore uses a striking and original image to illustrate this idea. He boldly compares life and death to a mother’s two breasts. The Divine Mother, an all-powerful force, wraps her love around humanity, helping us feel at home in the unknown. When she takes the child from the breast of life, the child may cry, but soon finds comfort at the breast of death. The human soul enters life and will find peace in the other world that awaits after death.

 

Critical Analysis

The cup of life is sweet, and so is death. Death is something we all must face. This world isn't a scary place; instead, it's filled with the warmth and love of the divine, just like life itself. Imagery is a key part of poetry, helping to express a writer's thoughts in a deep way. Tagore uses images not just for decoration; they are the heart and soul of his songs. His rich use of imagery is always meaningful and poetic. He uses it to focus on ideas, share deep feelings, and express emotions that words alone cannot convey.

"Even so, in death the same unknown will appear as ever known to me. And because I love this life, I know I shall love death as well."

The main idea of these lines is about death. Instead of seeing it as a beautiful journey from life to the afterlife, the poet describes it as a special experience. While it may be painful for a little while, in the end, it brings happiness and understanding.

The poet thinks of Earth as a home created by God for human souls to live in physical bodies. Just like a caring mother, God looks after us. When a person is born, it’s like a loving mother welcoming her child. Since we love life, we should also embrace death. Death is a way to meet our Heavenly Father.

To balance the tough parts of life with the beautiful aspects of God’s creation, the poet paints a lovely picture. He shows how life and death can be connected, like two sides of a mother. This is why Tagore doesn’t see death as something to fear. He believes that in death, we will still encounter someone we knew in life.

Post a Comment

0 Comments