Skip to main content

I Know thee as my God and stand apart (Song 77) by Rabindranath Tagore (Poem, Summary & Analysis)

 

I Know thee as my God and stand apart (Song 77) by Rabindranath Tagore (Poem, Summary & Analysis) 

I Know thee as my God and stand apart - I do not know thee as my own and come closer. I know thee as my father and bow before thy feet - I do not grasp thy hand as my friend's.

I stand not where thou comest down and ownest thyself as mine, there to clasp thee to my heart and take thee as my comrade.

Thou art the Brother amongst my brothers, but I heed them not, I divide not my earnings with them, thus sharing my all with thee.

In pleasure and in pain I stand not by the side of men, and thus stand by thee. I shrink to give up my life, and thus do not plunge into the great waters of life.

I Know thee as my God and stand apart - I do not know thee as my own and come closer. I know thee as my father and bow before thy feet - I do not grasp thy hand as my friend's.

 

Summary

The song is about humanity. Helping others and doing your duties brings you closer to God. God is near you in the form of your friends and family. Loving them is the same as loving God. The poet doesn’t understand that God can be found in humble, everyday people. He worships God like a father but doesn’t think of Him as a friend. He doesn’t see God as a brother, as someone who is part of our daily lives.

The poet ignores others and doesn’t share what he earns with them. When we go to God, we should do so with love, not fear. We should not feel separate from God but see Him as close, like a friend. We shouldn’t just bow before Him as a father but also hold His hand like a friend. We should see God as someone close to us, in our hearts. By standing with other people, both in happiness and in hard times, we are standing with God. We should not fear death, because death leads us to eternal life with God. After death, our soul returns to God and becomes one with Him.

 

Critical Analysis

Tagore came from a rich family, but he always believed in treating everyone with respect and equality, even the poorest people. He spoke out against the old Indian traditions that kept higher and lower classes apart. Tagore was influenced by the Brahmo Samaj, which taught that people should care for each other to find God. He believed God is with the farmer and the simple worker, not just with priests and princes. In his poems, he had mixed feelings about death—sometimes he was ready to accept it, but other times he was afraid of facing the unknown beyond life.

"I know thee as my God and stand apart - do not know thee as my own and come closer. I know thee as my father and bow before thy feet - I do not grasp thy hand as my friend's"

The poet feels sad that people fear God instead of seeing Him as a friend. The poet says we should love God like a lover, a brother, or a friend. God is in all people. He is humble like a poor person, loving like a friend, and caring like a brother. To truly love God, we must be kind to others, share their happiness and sadness, and help them. Living with love and kindness toward others is the way to love God and be close to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Nature by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (Poem, Summary, & Analysis)

  To Nature by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (Poem, Summary, & Analysis)   To Nature   It may indeed be fantasy when I Essay to draw from all created things Deep, heartfelt, inward joy that closely clings; And trace in leaves and flowers that round me lie Lessons of love and earnest piety. So let it be; and if the wide world rings In mock of this belief, it brings Nor fear, nor grief, nor vain perplexity. So will I build my altar in the fields, And the blue sky my fretted dome shall be, And the sweet fragrance that the wild flower yields Shall be the incense I will yield to Thee, Thee only God! and thou shalt not despise Even me, the priest of this poor sacrifice.   Summary The speaker begins by acknowledging that it might seem like a fantasy when he attempts to find deep, sincere, and inward joy in all created things. He tries to draw emotional and spiritual satisfaction from the natural world around him—such as leaves and flo...

The World is Too Much with Us by William Wordsworth (Poem, Summary & Analysis)

The World is Too Much with Us by William Wordsworth ( Poem,  Summary & Analysis)     William Wordsworth was born on 7th of April, 1770 at Cockermouth. His father was John Wordsworth and mother was Anne Cookson. He was second of the five children of his parents, the others being Richard, Dorothy, John and Christopher. He was educated at Hawkshead Grammar School and St. John College, Cambridge from where he did his B.A. in 1791. He went to France in 1791 and stayed there for a period of one year. During this time he was greatly influenced by the French Revolution which was at its peak at that time in France. He published his first volume of poems in 1793. In 1795 he got a chance to meet S.T. Coleridge and soon they became life time friends. Wordsworth along with his sister, Dorothy and S.T. Coleridge with his wife were neighbours to each other at Alfoxden and Stowey in Somerset for one year. In 1798, both the poets together published Lyrical Ballads which is consi...

Chandalika by Rabindranath Tagore (Summary & Analysis)

  Chandalika by Rabindranath Tagore (Summary & Analysis)   Rabindranath Tagore was a remarkable and multi-talented Indian personality who lived during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was a poet, philosopher, artist, musician, and playwright. Tagore was born in 1861 in Calcutta, India, and he came from a family of intellectuals and artists. He is widely celebrated for his contributions to literature and culture. Tagore's writing is known for its deep and insightful exploration of human emotions, nature, and spirituality. He wrote beautiful poems, stories, and songs that continue to inspire people even today. His most famous work is the poem "Gitanjali," which earned him the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913. This award made him the first non-European to receive such an honor. Beyond his writing, Tagore also played a significant role in India's struggle for independence from British rule. He used his creative talents to raise awareness about s...