On the slope of the desolate river (Song 64) by Rabindranath Tagore (Poem, Summary & Analysis)

 

On the slope of the desolate river (Song 64) by Rabindranath Tagore (Poem, Summary & Analysis) 

On the slope of the desolate river among tall grasses I asked her, "Maiden, where do you go shading your lamp with your mantle? My house is all dark and lonesome - lend me your light!" She raised her dark eyes for a moment and looked at my face through the dusk. "I have come to the river," she said, "to float my lamp on the stream when the daylight wanes in the west." I stood alone among tall grasses and watched the timid flame of her lamp uselessly drifting in the tide.

In the silence of gathering night I asked her, "Maiden, your lights are all lit - then where do you go with your lamp? My house is all dark and lonesome, - lend me your light.” She raised her dark eyes on my face and stood for a moment doubtful. "I have come," she said at last, "to dedicate my lamp to the sky." I stood and watched her light uselessly burning in the void.

In the moonless gloom of midnight I asked her, "Maiden, what is your quest holding the lamp near your heart? My house is all dark and lonesome, - lend me your light." She stopped for a minute and thought and gazed at my face in the dark. "I have brought my light," she said, "to join the carnival of lamps." I stood and watched her little lamp uselessly lost among lights.

On the slope of the desolate river among tall grasses I asked her, "Maiden, where do you go shading your lamp with your mantle? My house is all dark and lonesome - lend me your light!" She raised her dark eyes for a moment and looked at my face through the dusk. "I have come to the river," she said, "to float my lamp on the stream when the daylight wanes in the west." I stood alone among tall grasses and watched the timid flame of her lamp uselessly drifting in the tide.

 

Summary

The poem still focuses on the "search for God" and "finding God," but this one has a different tone. It criticizes the rigid customs and emptiness in Hinduism that are often followed blindly in the name of pleasing God. The message is clear: God is found through kindness and humanity, not in meaningless rituals.

In the poem, the poet asks a girl by the dry riverbank, surrounded by tall grass, to lend him her lamp to brighten his lonely, dark house. She briefly looks at him in the fading evening light but refuses, following an old tradition of floating the lamp down the river. The poet watches helplessly as the lamp drifts away, burning in the emptiness.

Later, he asks her again to light his house, which is still dark, while her house shines with light. Once again, she refuses, offering her lamp to the sky instead. Many lamps are lit during the night’s festival, glowing in the moonless darkness, but none are given to the poet. The poor, lonely poet remains in need, surrounded by the wastefulness of empty rituals.

 

Analysis

The poem speaks with the voice of a reformer. The poet highlights the emptiness and futility of rituals in India, especially criticizing the superstitions and rigid practices in Hinduism. Through a short, emotional piece, the poet contrasts the struggles of a poor man living in darkness with a superstitious woman wasting lighted lamps by floating them on rivers and in festivals. This stark difference powerfully critiques the outdated traditions.

The poet represents the widespread poverty in India. His personal struggles and lack of basic needs reflect the condition of many poor people across the country, who remain in darkness while others waste resources on empty rituals. The Hindu tradition of floating lamps on rivers is meant to benefit the souls of the dead, yet the living poor, like the poet, remain without light. The festival of Deepawali, with its abundance of lamps, extravagant spending on fireworks, and gifts, highlights this contrast, as it leaves behind those who are suffering and in need.

The poem suggests that the true path to connecting with God is through serving humanity, especially those in need. God’s presence is found among the poor and the suffering, not through rituals and grand ceremonies. Genuine joy and spiritual fulfillment come from love, kindness, and compassion for others.

In one poignant scene, a woman pauses and looks at the poet in the darkness, saying she has come to join the festival of lights. The poet watches as her small lamp gets lost among the thousands, failing to bring light to his dark home. These lines criticize the wasteful, hollow traditions of Hinduism and call for compassion. The poet, a symbol of poverty and need, asks for a light, but the woman, representing the wealthy, refuses, preferring to participate in a meaningless ritual. This moment captures the indifference of the rich to the struggles of the poor and serves as a critique of religious pomp and the coldness of the upper classes who ignore the suffering around them.

Post a Comment

0 Comments