Let Only That Little be Left of Me by Rabindranath Tagore (Text & Summary)

 

Let Only That Little be Left of Me

by Rabindranath Tagore

(Text & Summary) 

This is the 34th poem of Gitanjali. Tagore here talks about God and his love and devotion for God. He wants God to take away all his material desire and all his worldly longings. He thus prays that all that is evil and wicked be removed and only love and devotion be left.

 

Let Only That Little be Left of Me

Let only that little be left of me whereby I may name thee my all.

Let only that little be left of my will whereby I may feel thee on every side, and come to thee in everything, and offer to thee my love every moment.

Let only that little be left of me whereby I may never hide thee.

Let only that little of my fetters be left whereby I am bound with thy will, and thy purpose is carried out in my life and that is the fetter of thy love.

 

In this poem, Tagore prays God to take away all the baser and lower parts of his being. He prays to God that only that little part of him be left that would be devoted completely to God. He also prays that only that small portion of his will be left which would allow him to see and feel God on every side, and come to God in everything and offer his love and prayers to God at every step. He prays that only that part be left so that he is never able to hide from God.

The poet also prays that all his ties be taken away except that part, that would bound him to God and His will, so that God's purpose is carried out in the poet's life and this purpose be the only tie of God's love.

Post a Comment

0 Comments