English Grammar - Demonstrative Determiners

 

English Grammar

Demonstrative Determiners 

The demonstrative determiners (this/that, these/those) point to something that is close or distant. The closeness can be in space or in time. This (singular) and these (plural) are used for close objects, whereas that (singular) and those (plural) are used for distant objects.

Like all determiners, demonstrative determiners come at the beginning of a noun phrase, so they come in front of any adjective(s).

Examples:

I like this food.

I use these pens.

I have to do it this morning.

We don't meet these days.

Look at that big cloud.

Can you see those birds?

Do you remember that man we met last week?

Those days on holiday were enjoyable.

 

Demonstratives can be placed before the noun or the adjective that modifies the noun.

Examples:

This blue car needs to be washed next.

Those people were here first.

That metal rod should work.

These oranges are delicious.

 

Demonstratives can also appear before a number by itself when the noun is understood from the context.

Examples:

I'd like to try on that one.

This one is broken.

I'll take these three.

Those two are not as pretty as these two.

 

Demonstratives can be used by themselves when the noun they modify is understood from the context.

Examples:

I'll never forget this.

That has nothing to do with me.

I didn't ask for these.

Those aren't mine.

Post a Comment

0 Comments