He Came and Sat by My Side by Rabindra Nath Tagore (Text & Summary)

 

He Came and Sat by My Side

by Rabindra Nath Tagore 

(Text & Summary) 

In this poem no. 26 of Gitanjali, Tagore expresses his sorrow that he was unable to meet God even when God was as near to him as possible. God has come to him but he is lost in the pursuit of worldly matters, and fails to see Him. The poet has lost the opportunity of meeting God due to his own mistakes and his own inattentiveness.

 

He Came And Sat By My Side

He came and sat by my side but I woke not. What a cursed sleep it was, O miserable me!

He came when the night was still; he had his harp in his hands, and my dreams became resonant with its melodies.

Alas, why are my nights all thus lost? Ah, why do I ever miss his sight whose breath touches my sleep?

 

In this poem, Tagore takes the theme of the beloved waiting for her lover. The poet mourns having gone to sleep and thus missed meeting God. Tagore, in the voice of the beloved, says, that God came and sat by his side as he slept but he did not wake up. He curses himself and his sleep for it meant a lost opportunity and he wails for being miserable.

God came when the night was very still. He had harp in His hands and as He played it, the sweet melody of the harp mingled with the poet's dreams but he didn't wake. The poet lost his opportunity every night and thus his nights were useless. The poet questions, why he always missed seeing God when he was so near that His breath touched the poet as he slept.

Post a Comment

0 Comments