English Grammar - The Sentence


English Grammar

The Sentence

 

A group of words, usually containing a verb, that expresses a thought in the form of a statement, question, instruction, or exclamation and starts with a capital letter when written, is a sentence.

Example:

Ø The cat stretched.

Ø She opened the door.

Ø Aaron made a picture.

Ø I'm sorry.

Ø I danced.

Ø Where is your new cat?

Ø Why is the sky blue?

Ø How are you today?

Ø Pass the salt.

Ø Move out of my way!

Ø Shut the door.

Ø Find my leather jacket.

Ø Clean your room.

Ø We won!

Ø This puzzle is driving me up the wall!

Ø You're adorable!

Ø It's a boy!

Ø I'm really going to miss this place!

Kinds of Sentences

Sentences are of four kinds: -

                           i.        Declarative sentence.

                        ii.        Imperative sentence.

                      iii.        Interrogative sentence.

                     iv.        Exclamatory sentence & Optative sentence.

Declarative sentence

A declarative sentence is a sentence that

·      makes a statement,

·      does not ask a question,

·      does not give an order, or

·      does not express strong emotion.

Declarative sentences simply make a statement or a declaration. They pass on information. A declarative sentence always ends with a period (full stop).

Examples:

Ø He runs.

Ø She sings.

Ø I like climbing.

Ø Fran is sad.

Ø My cat is black.

Ø Dogs are cute.

Ø He is eight years old.

Ø The sky is blue.

Ø He loves pizza.

Ø The car is white.

Ø Ice is cold.

Ø I love my dog.

Ø My new car is black.

Ø George brushes her teeth twice a day.

Ø She doesn’t study German on Saturday.

Ø I and my sister don’t see each other anymore.

Ø Chemistry is my favorite subject, but my brother really likes social studies.

Ø They go to a gallery every Saturday.

Ø Her shoes were brand new, and now they are missing.

 

Imperative sentence

 The sentence, which is used to convey a command, a request, or a forbiddance is called an imperative sentence. This type of sentence always takes the second person (you) for the subject but most of the time the subject remains hidden.

It can end in a period (full stop) or an exclamation mark, depending on the forcefulness of the command.

Examples:

Ø Tidy your room!

Ø Please tidy your room.

Ø Shut up!

Ø Please keep the noise down.

Ø Consider the lily.

Ø Never forget the person who loves you.

Ø Take a step and don’t move.

Ø Don’t be excited about everything without reason.

Ø Don’t rush or you will fall.

Ø Read a lot to improve your writing skill.

Ø Write whenever you get a chance.

Ø Don’t stay out at night.

Ø Please open the door quickly.

Ø Have a cup of tea.

Ø Wash your hand first and then eat.

Ø Kindly bring the book to me.

Ø Don’t ever call me a loser.

Ø Watch your step before taking it.

Ø Please grant me a loan.

Interrogative sentence

An interrogative sentence asks a direct question and is punctuated at the end with a question mark.

Interrogative sentences are important. They're the tool for getting the information we want. Interrogative sentences are not as common as declarative sentences, but they are the next most common sentence type.

Examples:

Ø Do you want to go there?

Ø Did you see her?

Ø Have you watched the movie?

Ø How often do you go there?

Ø Have you been there before?

Ø Can you help me get rid of this dog?

Ø Can I borrow your grammar book for a day?

Ø Could you please help me with these bags?

Ø Do you know who she is?

Ø Did you make a plan?

Ø How did you make that water-mark?

Ø How often you go to a bar?

Ø How many times do you smoke?

Ø Does he know that I am here?

Ø Does she love you as the way you do?

Ø Does he care about us?

Ø Why did he leave us then?

Ø Who is that man seating in the corner?

Ø Will you please open the door for me?

Ø Would you like a cup of coffee?

Ø Can’t we be friends again?

Ø Why haven’t you completed your homework?

Ø Don’t you know who she is?

Exclamatory sentence

The sentence which expresses a sudden and intense excitement, disgust, admiration, shock, or sorrow, etc. is called an exclamatory sentence.

This kind of sentence must have a mark of exclamation (!) at the end or in the middle of the sentence.

Examples:

Ø Happy birthday, Manoj!

Ø Thank you, Ram!

Ø I hate you!

Ø Wow, I really love you!

Ø Fantastic, let's go!

Ø What a lovely bouquet of flowers!

Ø What a cute puppy!

Ø What an ugly bug!

Ø What a happy ending!

Ø How well he listens!

Ø How slow they crawl!

Ø How fast you ran!

Ø That birthday cake was so good!

Ø Sheldon's gift was so amazing!

Ø Ugh, that bug is so ugly!

Ø I’m so mad right now!

Ø You're adorable!

Ø It's a boy!

Ø I'm really going to miss this place!

Optative Sentence

The sentence which expresses a prayer, keen wish, curse etc. is called an optative sentence. This kind of sentence generally starts with ‘may’ and ‘wish’. Sometimes, ‘may’ remains hidden.

Examples:

Ø May the king live long!

Ø Long live the king of Westeros!

Ø May you two live long enough to see your grandchildren!

Ø May God bless us all.

Ø May you become successful enough to buy love!

Ø May the almighty help in this tragedy!

Ø Wish you a very successful married life.

Ø Wish you a happy journey together.

Ø May your team win the match!

Ø God bless you!


Post a Comment

0 Comments