Skip to main content

English Grammar - The Phrase and The Clause

 

English Grammar

The Phrase and The Clause

 

Phrase: - A group of words, which makes sense, but not complete sense, is called a phrase. In a sentence phrase works as a unit.

Examples: -

The groups of words in italics are phrases.

·      He was waiting for the rain to stop.

·      She was upset when it didn't boil.

·      You have been sleeping for a long time.

·      You might enjoy a massage.

·      He was eager to eat dinner.

·      The bewildered tourist was lost.

·      The lost puppy was a wet and stinky dog.

·      The flu clinic had seen many cases of infectious disease.

·      It was a story as old as time.

·      The sports car drove the long and winding road.

·      Saturday became a cool, wet afternoon.

·      Taking my dog for a walk is fun.

·      Walking in the rain can be difficult.

·      Strolling along a beach at sunset is romantic.

·      Getting a promotion is exciting.

·      Signing autographs takes time.

·      Going for ice cream is a real treat.

·      Singing for his supper was how he earned his keep.

·      Getting a sore back was the result of the golf game.

·      Pulling an all-nighter did not improve his test scores.

·      Sailing into the sunset was the perfect end to the book.

·      To make lemonade, you have to start with lemons.

·      I tried to see the stage, but I was too short.

·      She organized a boycott to make a statement.

·      To see Niagara Falls is mind-boggling.

·      He really needs to get his priorities in order.

·      The company decided to reduce hours for everyone.

·      To donate time or money is an honorable thing.

·      I went to Spain to study the language and culture.

·      My favorite pastime, needlepoint, surprises some people.

·      Her horse, an Arabian, was her pride and joy.

·      My wife, the love of my life, is also my best friend.

·      A cheetah, the fastest land animal, can run 70 miles an hour.

·      My idea, a recycling bin for the office, was accepted by the boss.

·      The Florida panther, the state animal of Florida, is an endangered species.

·      Washed with my clothes, my cell phone no longer worked.

·      Knowing what I know now, I wish I had never come here.

·      I am really excited, considering all the people that will be there.

·      We are looking forward to the movie, having seen the trailer last week.

·      Grinning from ear to ear, she accepted her award.

·      The happy dog ran the entire length of the park, pausing only to sniff the dandelions.

·      Painted a brilliant white, the small room appeared bigger.

·      The lake, frozen over all winter, was finally thawing.

·      The horse runs at a good speed.

·      I was in a hurry then.

·      I ran as fast as possible.

·      He works very slowly.

·      In the end, we all have to die.

·      He is on the way.

·      By working aimlessly, you will not get success.

·      In spite of working hard, he was insulted by his boss.

·      The book was on the table.

·      We camped by the brook.

·      He knew it was over the rainbow.

·      She was lost in the dark of night.

·      He was between a rock and a hard place.

·      I waited for a while.

·      She smelled of strawberries and cream.

·      He won the challenge against all odds.

·      His tail between his legs, the dog walked out the door.

·      Picnic basket in hand, she set off for her date.

·      The guys attacked the pile of nachos, their fingers getting the last bit of cheese off the plate.

·      Their heads hanging down, the whole group apologized.

·      The entire team, their uniforms muddy and stained, shouted for joy.

·      I like to swing the bat hard when I am at the crease.

·      Reading novels is a good habit.

·      The probability of happening that match is not much.

·      We are sorry for her departure.

·      Alex is a well-behaved man.

·      He is a man of friendly nature.

·      Julie is a woman of gorgeous style.

·      She leads a very interesting life.

·      A lot of people do not sleep at night.

Clause: - A group of words, which forms part of a sentence, and contains a subject and a predicate, is called a Clause.

Examples: -

The groups of words in italics are Clauses.

·      What the girl did was not very helpful.

·      He finally finished his novel, after months of research.

·      The trophy goes to whoever wins the race.

·      While I was asleep, the cat knocked over the plant.

·      A helium nucleus has two protons, whereas hydrogen has only one.

·      The crew could see the whale, which had surfaced only 50m behind them.

·      Do you know the butcher who went to court on Saturday?

·      I am not tidying the dishes unless Peter helps.

·      Where is the ice cream that was in the freezer?

·      After Mike sneezed all over the hamburger patties, no one wanted to eat.

·      The town where I was born is on the east coast.

·      I can't figure out why she said that.

·      We will do whatever is necessary.

·      The author, whom I met at the book signing, was very cordial.

·      When the aero plane lands, we will get off it.

·      Because I cannot go to the concert, you can have my ticket.

·      He can write much more neatly than his girlfriend can.

·      If you work on Saturday, I will look after your children for you.

·      You can sleep in my spare room, whenever you are in town.

·      Though I had never thought about it until now the song did sound like one I had heard before.

·      I am not totally certain how he won the race.

·      This is the cat who has gone missing.

·      Autumn is the season when the leaves fall from the trees.

·      My sister is the one who lives in that cottage.

·      These are the people who we met on holiday.

·      My father didn’t tell me why he said those things.

·      Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

·      You may play outside until the street lights come on.

·      The cat that you found belongs to the Smiths.

·      Whenever I go to Greece, I will visit Santorini

·      Since no one else volunteered, the job is yours.

·      If you can give me two reasons, I will allow it.

·      They were lost and were not sure how they would find their way.

·      What she believed was not what happened.

·      My brother doesn’t know if he can drive there.

·      We will give the best seats to whoever arrives the earliest.

·      What the man did was not useful to the situation.

·      The prize will be given to whoever wins the race.

·      She finally finished her college course after many years of studying.

·      Where is the milk which was in the fridge?

·      The actor, who starred in the film, was very talented.

·      The bicycle which you saw belongs to my son.

·      Whenever I am in Rome, I speak Italian.

·      If you can give me a good reason, I will let you borrow my car.

·      When the car returns, we can go home.

·      Because my alarm did not go off this morning, I was late for work.

·      When we arrived at the party, we were offered a drink.

·      If I do not pay my tax bill, I will be charged a fee.

·      If the weather is hot tomorrow we can go to the beach.

·      When I read this book, I feel happy.

·      Does anybody know how long the train will be?

·      My husband no longer plays football because he hurt his leg.

·      The event cannot start until the president arrives.

·      I am trying to think about what will happen next in the drama series.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World is Too Much with Us by William Wordsworth (Poem, Summary & Analysis)

The World is Too Much with Us by William Wordsworth ( Poem,  Summary & Analysis)     William Wordsworth was born on 7th of April, 1770 at Cockermouth. His father was John Wordsworth and mother was Anne Cookson. He was second of the five children of his parents, the others being Richard, Dorothy, John and Christopher. He was educated at Hawkshead Grammar School and St. John College, Cambridge from where he did his B.A. in 1791. He went to France in 1791 and stayed there for a period of one year. During this time he was greatly influenced by the French Revolution which was at its peak at that time in France. He published his first volume of poems in 1793. In 1795 he got a chance to meet S.T. Coleridge and soon they became life time friends. Wordsworth along with his sister, Dorothy and S.T. Coleridge with his wife were neighbours to each other at Alfoxden and Stowey in Somerset for one year. In 1798, both the poets together published Lyrical Ballads which is consi...

To Nature by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (Poem, Summary, & Analysis)

  To Nature by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (Poem, Summary, & Analysis)   To Nature   It may indeed be fantasy when I Essay to draw from all created things Deep, heartfelt, inward joy that closely clings; And trace in leaves and flowers that round me lie Lessons of love and earnest piety. So let it be; and if the wide world rings In mock of this belief, it brings Nor fear, nor grief, nor vain perplexity. So will I build my altar in the fields, And the blue sky my fretted dome shall be, And the sweet fragrance that the wild flower yields Shall be the incense I will yield to Thee, Thee only God! and thou shalt not despise Even me, the priest of this poor sacrifice.   Summary The speaker begins by acknowledging that it might seem like a fantasy when he attempts to find deep, sincere, and inward joy in all created things. He tries to draw emotional and spiritual satisfaction from the natural world around him—such as leaves and flo...

Chandalika by Rabindranath Tagore (Summary & Analysis)

  Chandalika by Rabindranath Tagore (Summary & Analysis)   Rabindranath Tagore was a remarkable and multi-talented Indian personality who lived during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was a poet, philosopher, artist, musician, and playwright. Tagore was born in 1861 in Calcutta, India, and he came from a family of intellectuals and artists. He is widely celebrated for his contributions to literature and culture. Tagore's writing is known for its deep and insightful exploration of human emotions, nature, and spirituality. He wrote beautiful poems, stories, and songs that continue to inspire people even today. His most famous work is the poem "Gitanjali," which earned him the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913. This award made him the first non-European to receive such an honor. Beyond his writing, Tagore also played a significant role in India's struggle for independence from British rule. He used his creative talents to raise awareness about s...